Dollar store craft finds never looked as sweet as they do in these hanging glass containers that are perfect candle or plant holders. If your local dollar store doesn’t carry the materials for this project, you can also find the necessary supplies at your local hardware store. Don’t worry if you can’t find the exact same shape or size glass bowl, since this design is flexible enough to work with most similarly sized containers.
Twist the Wires Together Above a Loop
- Cut two pieces of aluminum wire about 30 inches long.
- Using a sharpie or similar sized round item, wrap the two wires around the sharpie barrel so they meet at the top, and twist them together at least three or four turns to secure the wires around each other.
- Remove the marker and you’re left with a loop and two groups of double wire
Separate the Wires to Make an X
Separate and arrange the wires into an ‘X’ shape so they are evenly spaced as shown in the picture. These wires will form the main frame that holds the glass container.
Shape the Wire to Your Glass Container
Shape the wire around your glass container. Keep the loop centered on the bottom of your glass container while you move the wire around the glass.
Make Spirals at the Wire Ends
Remove the wire frame from the glass container. Using round nose pliers, make a small loop at the end of the wire. Use your fingers or the pliers to wrap the wire around the small loop to make a spiral.
Repeat Making a Spiral on Each Wire End
Repeat this process on each wire end. You will adjust the spiral size and wire frame to fit the glass container in the next step.
Adjust the Wire Spirals
Fit the glass bowl inside the wires. Continue to spiral the wire until they are just above the lip of the glass container.
Hold the Frame in Place with a Rubber Band
Slip the elastic band over the base of the wire and container and roll it up the sides so it holds the four wires in place around the glass container. Adjust the wires so they are equally spaced. Keep the loop centered at the base of the bowl.
- Cut a length of 16 or 18 gauge aluminum wire at least 12 inches long. Wrap the wire around a frame wire just beneath the spiral, above the lip of the container.
- Shape the wire around the lip of the glass container (mine is round) and wrap it around the next wire in the frame, just underneath the wire spiral. Try not to let the frame wires get pulled off center. Ideally, the main frame wires need to stay equally spaced apart.
- Continue to shape and wrap around the frame wires until you return to the first wire. Wrap around the first wire a second time and trim the ends. Even if you are using a slightly different shaped glass container, the wire frame should resemble the picture and your glass container will be held in place.
Make a Decorative Chain
To hang the candle holder, you will make a bead chain using smaller diameter aluminum wire. The materials for this next part are:
- 18 or 20 gauge aluminum wire
- 1-step looper (lg size) or round nose pliers
- 6 mm faceted glass beads
I used the 1-step looper pliers because they make bead chains like this quickly and easily. The one tool bends the loop and cuts the wire to the right size. It will take more time to make wire chain using simple loops, but it is good practice for any jewelry maker.
You can also buy chain or use wire if you want to make this more quickly.
Make Bead Dangles
When you are satisfied with your design, add a candle or plant to the glass container. It can be hung outside or inside.